Monday, March 10, 2014

It is the small things that mean the most

History:
I grew up in a little ol town out in the middle of no where. My father was truck driver and my mother for many years a stay at home mom. We had what we needed and that was about it. I remember wishing for a pony or a bicycle for Christmas but each year I would run outside and look on the roof to see that Santa once again forgot to pack it in his sled.  Other than a Christmas let down childhood was average...but I do remember EVERY holiday. It wasn't the important ones that I remember the most.  I remember coming home form school and for each "little" holiday there would be something on my placemat. St. Patrick day pencil and pencil topper or a box of chocolate for Valentine's day. There wasn't a holiday that my mother missed. Looking back the items didn't cost more than a few cents but the thought
and memories will forever fill my heart.


Fast forward to current:
Times have changed and I sadly forgot how it felt to receive a small gift out of no where. Once we become adults we "outgrow" all the fun surprises and with that I never carried on the small gift surprises for each holiday with my own children. ( As I write this I am very sadden to think about how much I enjoyed it and how I haven't done it for my own children... BUT that is going to change!) Why is it when we get older we think people wouldn't like to receive a small surprise?
I must say that is wasn't until recently that I was reminded what it was to be surprised!  I recall last year a few days after my birthday I received a package out of the blue. It was birthday present full of yarn, a crocheting book, candy and tons of Happy Birthday confetti. So sweet to get something when you least expect it.
Lately I have been blessed by another friend with some very special suprises like pizza goldfish, peeps, blue bic crystal ink pens and so much more... I am truly loved and I feel that I can never repay for all the wonderful items but I am changing... I want to be on the giving end too! 


Let's talk about something other than gifts:
As much as gifts are so nice to receive there are other things. I have never been the one to be excited about receiving a Hug... but after the first "friend "  hug I was hooked. It is the best thing ever and for those 5 seconds it feels like the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders. After a bad day that is the first thing I look forward too. The 5 seconds of freedom... those 5 seconds that no matter what anyone thinks you have someone that cares. Why was I never told about this Hugging thing... I feel like I have been missing out on so many hugs...but never again!


As I end:
I feel like my thoughts are now all over the place and nothing is really making sense now....I just have so much I want to say. But to finish this up I want to say I thank you for being you... I love the little things.... they mean the world to me! You have inspired me that it is honestly the little things in life that mean the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment